Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Day 9: Today Was Kind of a Fail

Source

I learned a lesson today. I learned it's a good bet that if I don't have something pre-made that I can pop in the microwave for breakfast, breakfast (1) might not happen, or (2) might be ugly.

This morning it didn't happen.

I had a teacher conference at 8:15 and amazingly made it on time, but did not have time for breakfast, since my egg and sausage muffins are all gone. On the plus side, I refused repeated offers to share E's pop-tart. 

I did manage to make time to stop for my "coffee" on the way to the conference, and here is where I admit the horror that has been my morning drink nearly every day for the last 4 years. I get my coffee at the gas station on the corner, where they serve Green Mountain coffee, which I love. I fill my mug 3/4 of the way with that, and then totally corrupt it by topping it off with cappuccino from the machine. I'm working on it...or rather, it's on my list of things to work on!

Right after the meeting I went running, then grabbed a quick shower, then went racing back out of the house to play taxi driver to my kids.

When I got back I made myself a bowl of pumpkin soup and some bacon and got engrossed in some work.

Then a meeting at 2:00, by which time I was feeling hungry but no time to make anything. So, after the meeting, J talked me into stopping at the coffee shop in town, where I indulged in a pumpkin latte. I am glad those things only come around once a year!

Back home I got engrossed in work again, and suddenly it was 7:30 and my chicken had never made its way into the oven. What to do? Why, head to the grocery store pick up the fixins for a quick and definitely less than paleo meal (garbanzo bean soup, btw) of course, and oh, while we're at it, lets go over-budget a little more.

I actually learned a few lessons today: 
  • breakfast needs to be super fast and easy
  • I need to be better prepared for days like today ~ days that just get away from me
  • I need to teach my kids to roast a chicken

I won't call the day a total fail, though, because while I didn't make the best choices, I also did not make horrible choices or take the easy way out, like reaching for a PB&J (or as I like to call it, fruit and peanutty goodness spread onto soft fluffy pillows of deliciousness) or worse, running to the FFJ (fast food joint) on the corner.

So, yeah, not a fail at all...just an opportunity to develop some mad coping skillz so I can do even better next time. Don't you like how I turned that around?

Still, I think the chicken is going into the crockpot tomorrow morning!

1 comment:

  1. Failing is not te end of any journey if you are a positive thinker the n you must understand that failing is the stepping stone towards success.

    Thanks
    Finn Felton

    Kopi Luwak

    ReplyDelete